Monday, 20 March 2017

Unfiltered by Lily Collins: Book Review


In this groundbreaking debut essay collection, featuring never-before-seen photos, actress Lily Collins―star of Mortal Instruments and Rules Don’t Apply―is opening a poignant, honest conversation about the things young women struggle with: body image, self-confidence, relationships, family, dating and so much more. 

For the first time ever, Lily shares her life and her own deepest secrets, proving that every single one of us experiences pain and heartbreak. We all understand what it’s like to live in the light and in the dark. For Lily, it’s about making it through to the other side, where you love what you see in the mirror and where you embrace yourself just as you are. She's learned that all it takes is one person standing up and saying something for everyone else to realise they’re not alone.

By turns hilarious and heartbreaking, Lily’s honest voice will inspire you to be who you are and say what you feel. It’s time to claim your voice! It’s time to live your life unfiltered.

SPOILER FREE REVIEW
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

The very first time I remember seeing Lily Collins on screen was the 2013 release of The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones and I couldn't help but be enamoured by her performance. I wasn't ever totally obsessed with her like I had previously been at different stages of my life with Avril Lavigne, Miley Cyrus, or Kristen Stewart, but something about her made me strangely intrigued by her unique look and imbued confidence. The second time I started to really find her fascinating as a person was when I realised that she was basically Sasha Alsberg's dopplegänger - Sasha had vlogged her day out to The Mortal Instruments movie cast signing and Lily had pointed her out, noticing their similarities, and asked to take a photo with Sasha. Here is a photo of them together and the video if you would like to watch it:

Anyways, I digress! This book was so good from the first page that I dreaded not just sitting down and finishing it as soon as receiving it! I always have university work to do so therefore it was important to do that first or I won't pass this year! But I basically read half in the first couple of days that I had received it and then waited about a week before devouring the rest. I am honestly so sad that it was so short but it was definitely worth it and not a time waster at all!

I've been planning for a very long time to write my very own memoir so you can probably only imagine how inspired I've become since reading about Lily's life. She is the not-so-typical sweet chick who has had an abundance of confidence ever since she was young and isn't afraid to be who she is and do what she wants. The way she has opened up to her fans in this book shows how grateful she is to the world and the opportunities she has been given in order to live the life that she always wanted. She has explained in rough details how her relationships started to define her life and why we should never let a guy (or girl) make us feel like we don't deserve to be happy. If there is anyone in the world that I feel most inspired by right now, it would have to be the woman of the hour: Lily Collins!

Now I know this may sound a little cliché, but I honestly think that Lily and I could be the best of friends if we had have met, despite the obvious circumstances - her being an international sell-out with her movies and now her already best-selling memoir, and me who is trying to get by in a tiny country where only so many have been able to be recognised by the world (the few including Lorde, Broods, Six 60, K.J. Apa–the guy who plays Archie on Riverdale that used to be on Shortland Street– and Temuera Morrison). But other than that, we share so many similarities! Like our passion for writing about what we love and speak our minds about the topics that matter. Or the fact that we found our love for baking while trying to impress our boyfriends and ended up being somewhat of a therapy to take our minds off of the craziness of life. Lily can be that girl-next-door who knows exactly when you need that hug you've needed all day or the smile that lifts you up when nothing else can improve your mood. If you need a new best friend, then pick up Unfiltered and become inspired like I did!

Because the book was so tiny, I don't want to give too much away - all I'd like to say is that I've never enjoyed a memoir so much in my life and I know that everyone would live the best three hours of their lives if they bought a copy and read it. Lily has managed to write a masterpiece of brilliance, inspiration, and creativity, all while she was still filming many different films in the time frame of a year. Um, hello... it has taken me three years just to get a basic outline and fourteen chapters of my fantasy novel! So with that, I have decided to give Infiltered a five out of five stars for its unique stories and spark of ingenuity that has changed my life for the better. Now if you see my memoir out sooner than later, you can thank Lily for being such a gem for pushing me out of my comfort zone to help others like myself as well. There's nothing better than to feel like you can be just like the celebrity you love.



Thank you Penguin Random House NZ for the review copy!


Like and follow their links here:

Official Website: http://penguin.co.nz/

Go add Unfiltered to your Goodreads list HERE


Go buy it on MightyApe with 1 day delivery in New Zealand HERE

Buy it on Book Depository with free shipping world wide HERE

Find it on the Penguin Random House NZ website HERE



Find more out about me at:






Twitter: ellabellabellz


Instagram: FeathersandFaith


Snapchat: FeathersnFaith