Friday, 11 December 2015

Destined for Doon by Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon


The second book in the popular new Doon YA series that takes on a classic story, Brigadoon, and spins it in a new way to give readers a fresh, modern experience.

In this sequel to Doon, Kenna Reid realizes she made a horrible mistake-choosing to follow her dreams of Broadway instead of staying in the enchanted land of Doon. Worse, she's received proof she and Duncan are meant to be, along with torturous visions of the prince she left behind. So when Duncan shows up and informs Kenna that Doon needs her, she doesn't need to think twice. But even if Kenna can save the enchanted kingdom, her happily ever after may still be in peril.


The Doon novels are a part of Blink, HarperCollins Christian Publishing's new YA imprint that delivers empowering and heartening literature while maintaining a tradition of imaginative and impactful storytelling.

SPOILER FREE REVIEW
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
So this was a book that I read in literally two days because I was so moved and interested by the first one. Having being resubmersed in the world of Doon with Veronica and Jamie was the most exhilerating thing because I had requested it at the library literally right after I finished the first. Who knew that I would be so interested in a novel set in Scotland which was basically all about a magical kingdom with royalty and a whole town of loyal citizens. Reading the reviews of the first and second books on Goodreads just gave me even more reason to sit down for hours both days just reading to my hearts content, despite the love for the series that I had already gathered through reading the first and anything that Sasha Alsberg had to say about it. It is truly going to stay on my list of my favourite books I have ever read (video to come on that too - I have like a whole list of videos that I haven't yet filmed so bear with me please!).

Destined for Doon follows the story of Veronica, now living as the Queen of Doon with Jamie McCrae as her husband-to-be, and MacKenna who has left Doon and realised too late that she has now had a "calling" where Duncan has appeared to her begging for her to return to Doon to him. Fortunately Duncan is asked to come back to retrieve MacKenna for Queen Veronica as Doon is yet again in danger and she needs her best friend to help her think straight. Travelling back to Doon is a mission for them, not only is the trip highly awkward, but they discover that the main entrance of Doon has been corrupted by a flesh-eating magical curse that has been left by one of the witches and they have to try and take the back way through. MacKennna and Duncan finally make it back to the castle in Doon and Veronica describes to her everything that has happened since her "departure" of Doon and states that it has only been two months since, though MacKenna says she has been away for at least a whole year (it is described in the first book - if you forgot - that the time passes differently between both worlds). Veronica and MacKenna work together along with the McCrae boys to figure out what is really causing the virus in Doon to spread before it completely consumes everything and Doon is lost forever.

Things I LOVE about Destined for Doon:

* MacKenna is starting to realise how much she cares for Duncan! As frustrating as she was in the first novel, MacKenna finds that coming back to Doon has made her realise how much she really cares about Duncan but has no idea whether or not he has had visions of her too. Still the undeniable bond begins to build and things finally start to look like they're working out for the two lovebirds. However it might take a lot more than destiny and visions of Duncan to prove that she really belongs here in Doon.

* Veronica is a Queen and I can't even contain myself with how cool that would be! Like seriously, who doesn't want to be a princess or a Queen? I always wanted to be one even though I was such a tomboy as a kid. It comes with responsibility but it also comes with power and respect. A position a person like me would clearly be accustomed to seeing as I like being my own boss and not being told what to do (hence wanting to be an author - no one will tell me how to write my stories. There will only be deadlines which I don't mind trying to keep up with). Everyone is destined for something and I feel that's one of the main messages that this book portrays. If I were born in Scotland and maybe a whole century earlier, I could have been on the throne right now *Subtly buys self a cool circlet crown thing that Veronica wears off of the internet to show my rightful status*.

* It's the sequel to Doon and I couldn't be any happier! When one tends to enjoy one book thoroughly, they tend to be pretty keen to get the next in the series. 'nuff said really.

Overall I have given this book a five out of five stars because it satisfied my Doon craving after suffering for a week. Yes, a week and it was horrible, okay. Now I'm gonna have to get the third one which I'm sure is called Shades of Doon because Sasha said she was going to read it while she was travelling Scotland which would have really set the mood I guess. Also, I'm gonna have to look into the play that inspired the authors Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon to write these books because when one gets a whiff of Doon, they don't go back. And I don't regret a thing.

Go add Destined for Doon to your Goodreads list HERE

Go buy it on MightyApe with 1 day delivery in New Zealand HERE

Buy it on Book Depository with free shipping world wide HERE