Thursday, 22 October 2015

They Let Me Write A Book! by Jamie Curry: Book Review


“Allow me to introduce myself. I’m Jamie, I’m 19-years-old. I make videos on the Internet, and enough people watched them that they let me write a book. I know. What is life?”


WELCOME TO JAMIE’S WORLD

Inside these pages is my life so far, and what I’ve learnt – or haven’t learnt – along the way. Read about my cowboy hat years, the year I dug a big hole, and the time I pulled down my pants at a badminton game.

I’ll tell you my top travel tips (drink water), how to have fun at a school ball (don’t go) and how to be an adult (eat an oyster). And I’ll talk about YouTube, because I suppose that’s what got us into this mess in the first place …



SPOILER FREE REVIEW
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
Since reading Rosie Waterland's memoir, I made a deal with myself to not judge books such as these too much on poor grammar, punctuation mistakes or bad paragraphing. Basically I feel like the only reason you should do a review on an autobiography is the fact that you enjoy it so much that you want others to read it or it's so bad that you've got to be a hardcore fan to even appreciate the effort put in. Well here I am, writing one hell of a fabulous review (again) because this is DEFINITELY a book that I want you all to read. Jamie Curry is a nineteen year old kiwi/New Zealander girl, much like myself, who makes videos on YouTube and Facebook. Her rise to fame started when she casually started up a Facebook page with friends as a joke to make funny memes and basically make people laugh, even if it meant poking fun at herself to do so. The startling number of ten million likes on her page called, "Jamie's World" helped her gain worldwide attention and basically gave her a kickstart on her "YouTube" career where she continued her funny antics in the form of parody videos and basically speaking about hilarious situations where just her personality alone could make you giggle your heart out. Personally, having many friends online from overseas, I can tell you that the majority of them know exactly who Jamie is and what she is well known for.

As soon as I received this early copy of Jamie's book from HarperCollins NZ I literally sat down immediately (after tweeting about it of course which later lead to Jamie personally retweeting and following me so I'm pretty stoked about that) and started to binge read it. It literally took me two and a half hours before I finished it. I'm totally serious about that. It is quite a small book compared to some but don't get me wrong, it's all about quality, not quantity and that's definitely the vibe I got from reading it. I absolutely loved reading all about the weird, childish moments Jamie had throughout her sporty childhood and the infamous cowboy hat that she never took off, something which I'm sure she'll one day find some way of bringing back into fashion. Out with Lorde's witch's blood lipstick and in with the outdated-but-still-cool-because-australian's-wear-them cowboy hats. To be fully honest, I found myself feeling a little awkward when I got up to the page where she tells you to colour her picture in. Not because I don't enjoy colouring in, I actually find that activity quite soothing and stress relieving. It's just because I feel like one day if I actually did well enough with my career and became friends with her, I'd have to confess that I coloured her picture in for hours on end and even fangirled a tiny bit when she followed me on Twitter (not awkward whatsoever). I often found myself laughing out loud from some of the things she mentioned and how she said it. Of course, having watched Jamie's videos on YouTube for a few years now I feel like I am accustomed with her humor and therefore constantly thinking, Totally Jamie, I so get that. And don't worry, I totally get where you're coming from. I was a strange kid too.

If you are already a massive Jamie fan then this book is definitely for you. If you aren't then if you don't get cheesy humor and understand the meaning of having fun even if it means talking to a camera and making people laugh for a job, then I don't know whether you'd enjoy this so much. If you are just simply curious to peer more into the life of Jamie and figure out what makes her tick then yeah, totally! Go buy this because it'll be the best two and a half hours of your life. Or five days. However long it takes you to read it. However, don't be fooled by her typical facade of humor, Jamie does eventually get pretty candid with her personal struggles with OCD, anxiety and online hate. Reading about her internal struggles made me realise even more that she's definitely just like any other person. She's a small town/country girl who struggles with being in large crowds and needs to have a clutter free environment. I personally related to her a lot just with her anxiety and panic attacks, God knows how many I've had to go through and nearly had. Trust me, it's not pretty for the person or anyone else around them while the episode is happening unless that someone knows exactly how to help. I feel like everyone who has ever gone crazy over seeing Jamie in public or at an event needs to buy and read this book to fully understand what it's like for her to deal with stuff like that while trying to keep a straight face. Basically, this novel shows Jamie inside and out and gives everyone a better idea of who she really is and not always just someone who is constantly smiling in front of a camera for our entertainment. Jamie is one of the coolest and weirdest people I've ever heard about (hopefully one day I'll get to say "meet") but that's just how we like her and I'm sure she will appreciate all her fans and anyone else reading her book to understand her and have a respect for her personal needs as a human being.

I have given this book a 4.5 out of 5 stars because even though it wasn't life changing for me personally, I really did love it and it made my day just that little bit better. I feel better knowing that she's just a chill chick who I would personally love to have as a best friend and knowing that there is even a celebrity out there who knows exactly what it's like to have internal struggles which will most likely eventually be put out there for everyone to see. Jamie is an awesome icon for kids, teenagers and even adults out there and after you have read her autobiography, you'll most likely be rethinking everything you've ever thought and be asking yourself, "What is life"?

Thank you HarperCollins New Zealand for the review copy! Go like their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/Harpercollinsnz?fref=ts


Go add They Let Me Write A Book to your Goodreads list HERE


Go buy it on MightyApe with 1 day delivery in New Zealand HERE

Buy it on Book Depository with free shipping world wide HERE

Are you suffering with a mental illness such as depression or anxiety? Here are some helpful links from BetterHelp that you can check out and find tips on how to live a happier life:

BetterHelp Advice - Anxiety
BetterHelp Advice - Depression
How To Deal with Depression: Tips, Techniques And Finding the Right Treatment

How Do I Find A Therapist Near Me?