Thursday, 8 October 2015

Ten Thousand Skies Above You by Claudia Gray: Book Review



Ever since she used the Firebird, her parents' invention, to cross into alternate dimensions, Marguerite has caught the attention of enemies who will do anything to force her into helping them dominate the multiverse—even hurting the people she loves. She resists until her boyfriend, Paul, is attacked and his consciousness scattered across multiple dimensions. 

Marguerite has no choice but to search for each splinter of Paul’s soul. The hunt sends her racing through a war-torn San Francisco, the criminal underworld of New York City, and a glittering Paris where another Marguerite hides a shocking secret. Each world brings Marguerite one step closer to rescuing Paul. But with each trial she faces, she begins to question the destiny she thought they shared. 

The second book in the Firebird trilogy, Ten Thousand Skies Above You features Claudia Gray’s lush, romantic language and smart, exciting action, and will have readers clamoring for the next book.

*I received this ARC copy in exchange for an honest review*

SPOILER FREE REVIEW
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

I am so happy that I was able to read this series by Claudia Gray. Thanks to HarperCollins NZ I now have a series that has not only pushed the limits of my brain in terms of science and physics through a YA novel, but I have found myself immersed in such a heartbreaking, and yet still beautiful, love story. I was given both the first book and this one as an ARC to check out and I am super grateful to have been randomly aligned with such a well written series. If I were to say anything about this specific book though, I would want people to know that there is nothing else like it and that in itself is more than enough reason to pick it up after reading the first. If you have not read the first book, A Thousand Pieces Of You, then you better or I'll hunt you down and replace your current TBR pile with just these two books alone! There's this saying, or just something widely known amongst many readers, especially on Booktube; the fact that the sequel is almost never better than the original. In this case we can happily skip over that generalization and get straight to the fact that this was the most heart-wrenching novel of the year (can I say century?)!

From what we saw of the first book, obviously the tides had turned; Marguerite and Paul ended up together; Theo wasn't really Theo, the Triadverse Theo hijacked his body; Henry Caine (Marguerite's father) didn't actually die - he was technically kidnapped; and we realised that the true enemy was in fact, Wyatt Conley, the millionaire and leader of the Triad Corporation. Now if you have just finished the first novel and you are looking for a review to give you a bit of closure, I'm sorry but I literally can't say much without spoiling it (that is why this is called a SPOILER FREE REVIEW!) - basically because this sequel has just as much twists and turns as the first, if not more. Even so, I'm here to try my very best. I absolutely loved how the story free flowed from the first, the way it interlocked in such a reasonable way through Theo and Paul - like Conley knew how to get to her by using the ones she loves. Marguerite undergoes another round of highly dangerous yet intriguing realities travelling through the dimensional realms in order to do what's right, but also to save her true love, Paul and her parent's science assistant, Theo. One thing that got me was the new worlds that she visited showed her a lot more about the possibility of fate - the one thing Paul tried so hard to prove in his scientific efforts - and how the soul can reanimate itself in so many different ways. I can definitely say that TTSAY transformed my appreciation for Theo as a concerned friend, but also helped me fall more and more for Paul's charms and everything about his personality that resonates throughout the entire book. Again I can't say too much without spoiling anything but I will tell you now that this one will have you in tears hoping to God that anything and everything will happen in order to help Marguerite succeed in her dimensional journey, even if it means sabotaging a life's work to ensure the safety of loved ones. Also visiting other dimensions and other versions of herself and her family will keep her questioning her loyalty and whether or not she was right about how a soul is always the same in every world and lifetime.

Marguerite definitely has a lot on her mind in this novel. She seems to question things much more and wonder whether she was misled by certain things and make it hard for her to make calculated decisions. Her loyalties are tested much more so it's almost heartbreaking to see how she goes through it all and still comes out mentally stable. She comes to a real development curve though which gains her better insight to the world of the dimensions and therefore gives her a clearer mind when it comes to the end of the book as her loyalties are truly tested in ways that no one would even begin to understand unless they saw it for themselves. Who knew families were so complicated! Marguerite eventually gets an opportunity to revisit the Russiaverse where she is know as a Duchess and has an older brother, Vladimir, younger sister, Katya, and a younger brother, Peter. There are complicated reasons as to why she feels she needs to visit again and unfortunately even coming back to this world doesn't help when she discovers something completely overwhelming for both her and the Duchess. I feel like the visit gives her more clarity on the virtue of life, not just through the previous lost of Lieutenant Markov and reliving that reality, but just seeing her 'siblings' again and something other that totally blows her mind.

I only just started this series about a couple of weeks ago but reading both back-to-back helped me see the major differences in either one and helped me develop my love for all the characters so much easily spending so much time with them. I'm really sad to have to wait a whole lot longer than everyone else to read the next installment due to receiving an ARC but at least I know I am fully ready to receive another dose of Marguerite and Paul having majorly romantic moments which make my stomach turn with butterflies and send my heart leaping with excitement. This novel is most likely one of Claudia's best work to date (I just can't see her original series, Evernight being as good as this!) so I'm betting on it that it will become one of the top selling series of the decade due to it's mastermind thoughtfulness behind it all. I don't think I can think of anything wrong with it and coming from a fully honest critic like myself, that hopefully sounds pretty good!

Overall I have given this a 4.75 stars out of 5 just naturally because it made me feel warm and gooey inside and I'm literally craving more like I crave coffee every morning. I need my next Firebird fix! Also one thing before I wrap this up, I can't wait until someone creates a Firebird device because I'm so down to own something like that. Hell, if it works then I'd love to find myself a Lieutenant Markov version of my partner, Chad (just kidding but seriously...)!


What do you expect to happen in this book? Do you believe in dimensions and the possibility of dimensional travel? What do you think the Firebird looks like? Any thoughts on the name for the next book? Let me know all your thoughts in the comments below!

Go check out the awesome playlist I created specifically for this series on Spotify HERE!

Thank you HarperCollins New Zealand for the review copy! Go like their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/Harpercollinsnz?fref=ts


Go add Ten Thousand Skies Above You to your Goodreads list HERE


Go buy it on MightyApe with 1 day delivery in New Zealand HERE

Buy it on Book Depository with free shipping world wide HERE