Friday, 9 October 2015

Outsiders by Tammy Ferebee: Book Review


Jaylen Hayes knows that she is different from all other seventeen-year-old girls. Possessing extraordinary intelligence, she is also uncannily powerful and inexplicably hated by wild animals. But it is not until she transfers to Trinity High that she learns the truth about who—and what—she really is. 

Instinctively drawn to two new classmates—the intense and passionate Indigo, and the charismatic and breathtakingly gorgeous Michael—Jaylen soon learns the shocking secret of their shared heritage, and the bloodline that extends to the stars. However, all is not what it seems, and Jaylen soon finds her newfound security threatened when a trusted friend becomes a dangerous and vengeful enemy.

*I received a copy of this book from Tammy in exchange for an honest review!*

SPOILER FREE REVIEW
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Well I am literally lost for words. I have just finished this novel and now I have to attempt to organised all my crazy thoughts and emotions into writing a great review - because it was literally that brilliant! When I first found Tammy and learnt a bit more about her novel, Outsiders through a video she posted on her YouTube channel explaining the book and reading the blurb so that we could have somewhat of an idea as to what it was about. I am literally so glad that I found her because this book had me pining for more and more. Basically I couldn't handle not reading it, so I did everything that was required to have the house clean and everyone fed so that I could lock myself away in my bedroom, sit down on the bed and binge read until the end. It was only a few moments ago that I finally came back to civilisation and realise that Jaylen and Michael were just fictional characters and there's no such thing as aliens with super powers (well you never know, I might actually believe that) and so here I am - back to my own life where I am suffering through a major book hangover, drinking tea and writing this review.

Now please don't sit here reading this thinking that I'm only saying this much because I offered to do a review for Tammy and I only want to give her a review she'll want to hear. Well actually, no. That's not why I'm writing such an awesome review. Before I asked for a review copy, I had the strangest feeling that this was something I really wanted to read. Now as some people may know, I'm pretty hard to impress if a book isn't written well and usually my first gut instinct about a book is right. In this case, I was absolutely right and I couldn't thank Tammy more for being so good at this and making me believe in myself more as a writer as well. Tammy has pure talent as an author and even though it was self published, I'm more than positive that a company like HarperCollins would have snatched the manuscript up in a heartbeat. Even so, I love the cover design and how the name, "Outsiders" has been made into a font which resonates the eeriness of the novel. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of awesome events that happen and relationship drama's that makes you want the popcorn every two seconds - this novel definitely has it's fair share of scares and heart attacks. I have to admit, at least twice I basically wanted to cry my heart out for the characters but I couldn't or I'd look seriously psychotic in front of Chad. But I can say that this is one hell of an emotional rollercoaster, and you are bound to want to get on!

If I could say anything about the main character, Jaylen, it would be to mention how strong of an individual she is. The fact that she has been through so much with being through foster homes and two of her mother's dying; her real one when she was a little girl and her perfect foster mother when she was much older. I wish I were as tough as her and be able to stop myself from crying so easily - that takes massive talent! The fact that she started to live with Ms. Ward, the woman who put Jaylen in and out of foster homes through out her childhood, is a pretty major difference and a bit awkward, but like any other novel there is definitely development after time being spent together. The girl Indigo, who she met at her first day at Trinity High, was a great first friendship for Jaylen and really brought her out of her shell. When Jaylen met Michael, hearts were everywhere and of course Jaylen was in denial, more so thanks to Indigo, but what school is there where a friend of yours won't get even the tiniest bit jealous over the attention you're receiving from the guy she likes too, but is thankfully more interested in you? I like how Michael was a respectful male who had a good relationship with his mum. I also like how there is a reoccurring theme of a broken family, where Michael never knew his father either. This novel definitely had a strong theme of Americanized schooling showing through how the school handled things with classes, the fact that Prom was a massive thing and the harsh yet truthful discussion in the classroom that only the 'more attractive' people are chosen as Prom King or Queen, and how the graduation is taken as a massive milestone in life leading to their future at a faraway College. This is really interesting for someone like me who isn't immersed in that type of high school culture and I thoroughly enjoyed everything about the storyline, even when it almost had me in tears.

Overall I have given this novel a 4.5 out of 5 stars for its overall awesomeness and how much it drew me in. I absolutely loved this book and I cannot wait until the second one is released so I can find out what happens next! Amazing work, Tammy! I hope you decide to hit me up in the future so I can read more great content from you!

Go add Outsiders to your Goodreads list HERE


Go buy it on MightyApe with 1 day delivery in New Zealand HERE
(Please keep in mind that this is only the case if they have it in stock)

Buy it on Book Depository with free shipping world wide HERE