Tuesday, 6 October 2015

A Thousand Pieces Of You by Claudia Gray: Book Review


Every Day meets Cloud Atlas in this heart-racing, space- and time-bending, epic new trilogy from New York Times bestselling author Claudia Gray.


Marguerite Caine’s physicist parents are known for their radical scientific achievements. Their most astonishing invention: the Firebird, which allows users to jump into parallel universes, some vastly altered from our own. But when Marguerite’s father is murdered, the killer—her parent’s handsome and enigmatic assistant Paul—escapes into another dimension before the law can touch him.


Marguerite can’t let the man who destroyed her family go free, and she races after Paul through different universes, where their lives entangle in increasingly familiar ways. With each encounter she begins to question Paul’s guilt—and her own heart. Soon she discovers the truth behind her father’s death is more sinister than she ever could have imagined.


A Thousand Pieces of You explores a reality where we witness the countless other lives we might lead in an amazingly intricate multiverse, and ask whether, amid infinite possibilities, one love can endure.

SPOILER FREE REVIEW
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
It has been a while since I've read a well thought through sci-fi book and I am ever so grateful that HarperCollins seems to have good taste in their authors. At first I found it hard to get into just due to the lack of a love story in the first few chapters, crazy information all at once which was hard for me to process instantly, and the fact that this was a major difference to my usual read. However, I did manage to push on through the novel and thank God I did because I ended up enjoying it more than I intended. I haven't read any of Claudia Gray's previous novels before, even though I always wanted to read her 'Evernight' series but I never managed to get my hands on the books, but this specific novel gave me the uttermost chills of excitement from the interesting storyline woven together with scientific facts (the majority) and a heart-breaking romance that will leave you wondering why you have not yet found someone like that.

Marguerite was the protagonist of this novel and reminded me of such a typical yet realistic teenager which really helped to reel me into the book. I hate when characters either do not have enough personality or self esteem to keep the novel interesting, or are just so fake that someone like them could never exist in real life. Yes, it's fiction. Of course you'll be expecting anything, I'm just stating my personal preferences. Meg (as Theo likes to call her) is a realist and goes through a lot of painful realities in a short amount of time. She has been battered and bruised, lied to and made to think the worst while she leaves her family behind to go track down the 'killer' of her father. Going through the story I grew to really like Marguerite as a person and respected the way she handled things as it was very much how I would have if I were stuck in her position, however I probably would have noticed something off or different about someone instantly if it were someone I knew quite well. I like how her talent is art and in every dimension she notices that the different versions of her there also like the same things and feel the same way; well let's say it's more than usually that would happen in one dimension to the next. Marguerite seems to be quite an on to it character, being able to pick things out easily and notice the differences between each world, the very minor differences. I guess that's how the daughter of two highly acclaimed scientists/physicists would be - and she seems to think she's the odd one of the bunch who isn't smart like her family which in truth is actually very much the other way around. Obviously as the main character, she is made out to be special so she is perfect for the dimensional travel but I'm honestly starting to get a little tired of that trope. Other than that small detail, I actually really loved this book.

The storyline played out amazingly well and worked out better than I had imagined. I have this bad habit of trying to predict at early points of the novel what might end up happening later but with ATPOY, Claudia Gray did the most amazing job at keeping you in the dark until just before the information is given about a certain subject or person and that made it all the more enthralling and anticipating. I like how there were very many obstacles and it almost always felt like they would be too torn down to keep going but they always managed to work around or get out of a sticky situation. In saying that, I guess that points out a very interesting message for the readers: No matter how tough the obstacle their is always a way around it or never give up because you might just win. I don't know, that's the part where I had to get a little cheesy. I like how even though the dimensions were set at the same time as every other, some had developed more and some had developed less so it made it interesting and gave the novel diversity of time. Thinking about all the dimension's that were mentioned, a few genre's could sneakily be mentioned thanks to those worlds such as dystopian and historical fiction of some sort. I can't say too much without giving anything away but the love story in this book will have your heart thumping with excitement and encouragement, but then ripped to pieces and then sewn back together with string and a knitting needle. Yup, ouch, painful. But honestly so good! I've already set myself straight into my ARC version of the sequel, Ten Thousand Skies Above You which comes out November 15th 2015 and let me tell you that this series will be something to keep an eye on. To be fully honest, it could be as big as The Hunger Games if it were to be optioned for a movie because this novel is just too good to pass on as just "mediocre young adult fiction".

Overall I have given this book a 4.5 stars out of 5 because again like I've said about other novels, I absolutely loved it and it had great content which continued to amaze me with how much sense it made for a science fiction novel, although it was not something that I would become obsessed with and will stand just before a 5 star novel. In other words, it's a great novel and I recommend it to anyone who is interested in science based novels, just not for those who are constantly seeking out another series to be enamoured with like I am with the Throne of Glass series for example. I truly do hope to get more out of the next installment!

Have you read this book? What did you think of it? If you are planning on buying this book because of my review, please let me know in the comments below!

Go check out the awesome playlist I created specifically for this series on Spotify HERE!


Thank you HarperCollins New Zealand for the review copy! Go like their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/Harpercollinsnz?fref=ts


Go add A Thousand Pieces Of You to your Goodreads list HERE


Go buy it on MightyApe with 1 day delivery in New Zealand HERE