Friday, 3 July 2015

Swoon by Nina Malkin: Book Review


Sin is coming... Prepare to Swoon. 

Torn from her native New York City and dumped in the land of cookie-cutter preps, Candice is resigned to accept her posh, dull fate. Nothing ever happens in Swoon, Connecticut...until Dice's perfect, privileged cousin Penelope nearly dies in a fall from an old tree, and her spirit intertwines with that of a ghost. His name? Sinclair Youngblood Powers. His mission? Revenge. And while Pen is oblivious to the possession, Dice is all too aware of Sin. She's intensely drawn to him—but not at all crazy about the havoc he's wreaking. Determined to exorcise the demon, Dice accidentally sets Sin loose, gives him flesh, makes him formidable. Now she must destroy an even more potent—and irresistible—adversary, before the whole town succumbs to Sin's will. Only trouble is, she's in love with him. 

What do you do when the boy of your dreams is too bad to be true?


SPOILER FREE REVIEW
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Swoon was definitely a book I had trouble reading although I eventually managed to finish. Starting off I wasn't crazily intrigued, nor was the mid section of the book yet I was definitely shocked to see so much content written into the storyline that I would have never have even guessed by just looking at the cover or reading the description. I have never quite read a book as outspoken and real as this. My first advice to you as a reader of this novel, is that if you are not into hearing intimate details about 'certain experiences', then I suggest you do not read this book.

Throughout the book, I couldn't really decide whether the book was okay - just well written, or just really, really bad overall. I can't lie, the author, Nina Malkin, has some talent in the writing department, but I just couldn't get over how unimportant most of the points were in the book and I had myself wondering whether I should just put the book down and never pick it up again, or pick it up, suck it up, and finish the damned thing. The one thing that disappointed me most about the storyline is that it never really had a climax and the ending was just as disappointing and confusing all at the same time. Maybe this was part of the reason I never really found myself enjoying the book as much as I tried to find some reason to.

What annoyed me the most about the relationship between Dice and Sin was the fact that she really only fell for him the second she looked at him. Apart from hearing his story and feeling his pain for his past loss, I really feel like she didn't ever really get to know the person he actually was before deciding about her feelings for him. The fact that he possessed Dice's cousin, Pen for about a third of the novel was just plain awkward. I honestly don't see how she could have fallen for Sin more whilst possessing Pen as the two girls are closely related and all he ever did was bring major trouble to the town of Swoon. That should have been enough warning signs for anyone. Personally I feel like this relationship wasn't very realistic and had absolutely no development in my eyes, and if there was any intended, it came about in the wrong context. Dice and Pen shared a very close relationship throughout the novel, even though they had previously been living apart from each other practically their whole lives and the fact that they treated each other like sisters practically straight away was very disorientating and completely unrealistic. In order to have such a friendship between two individuals, I would expect at least some perverse start to their relationship and then slowly getting along as cousins before they start sharing intimate details about their love lives.

As for the plot line I'd have to say that everything was really all over the place and it made me feel like this story probably hadn't been really thought through before it was written. I feel like Malkin shows talent in the way she can complete a sentence with such detail, accurate literature and punctuation, but her ability to explain and plot a story hasn't excelled in this particular novel. I felt confused reading this and beginning every chapter I felt lost and redirected into a different direction for no reason. I'd like to say that I enjoyed this book due to the themes of psychism because that is something that would make me jump into reading a book. Unfortunately it failed to do it's purpose and satisfy my reading needs especially after reading such an amazing book by Sarah J. Maas - my writing standards had been raised dramatically. Sorry Nina Malkin!

Overall I have to give this book a 2 out of 5 stars because sadly it held absolutely no interest for me. If you're someone who isn't too fussy about the plot of a book and enjoys reading something that doesn't make much sense or isn't totally realistic, then this book is for you. Nina Malkin is great with her words, just not with the storyline and I hope that one day I will find something of hers that I actually enjoy.

Go add Swoon to your Goodreads list HERE


Find more out about my writing career at: